What is Pupillary Distance?
Pupillary Distance (PD), often referred to simply as PD, is the measurement of the space between your eye pupils. This measurement is crucial as it guarantees that your eyes align perfectly with the optical center of your eyewear lenses. An accurate PD measurement is essential to prevent discomfort and have the best visual clarity and needed when you are looking for prescription glasses. In cases where your prescription doesn't include PD, taking this measurement becomes even more important.
Average PD Measurements: For adults, the typical PD measurement falls within the range of 54 to 74 millimeters, while children usually have a PD between 43 to 54 millimeters.
How to Measure Your PD: Measuring your pupillary distance is a straightforward process that you can easily do on your own. You'll need a few basic tools, such as a millimeter ruler and either a friend or a mirror.
Method 1: With a Friend's Assistance
- Stand or sit comfortably while your friend stands about 8 inches (20 cm) away from you.
- Hold the millimeter ruler horizontally across your brow.
- Make sure the zero mark of the ruler is aligned with the center of your right pupil.
- Your friend should read and record the measurement from the center of your left pupil to the ruler.
- To ensure accuracy, repeat the measurement 2 to 3 times.
Method 2: Using a Mirror
- Position yourself about 8 inches (20 cm) away from a mirror.
- Hold the millimeter ruler just above your eyes, resting it against your brow.
- Close your left eye and focus on the right eye's pupil.
- Note the millimeter mark on the ruler that aligns with the center of the right pupil.
- Repeat the measurement process for accuracy, ideally 2 to 3 times.
Always Opt for Professional Precision: While doing it yourself can be helpful, obtaining your PD measurement from an ophthalmologist or an eye care professional gives you the most accuracy. This step guarantees that your eyewear will provide maximum comfort and optical performance all based on your unique eye.
In Conclusion, Pupillary Distance (PD) is a key measurement to ensure your eyewear fits correctly and offers the best visual experience. By measuring your PD accurately, you contribute to your own comfort and visual clarity. Whether through a friend's assistance or personal mirror use, obtaining the correct PD measurement is a simple yet essential step in your eyewear journey. However, for precision and peace of mind, consulting an eye care professional remains the best approach.
Check out the best prescription sunglasses here