Sunglasses are essential from start to finish!
Sunny days are an invitation to get out and play! While we love to feel the sun on our run, we need to be vigilant about protecting our eyes. Sunglasses not only protect our eyes from damaging UV rays but also provide a barrier to help keep bugs, branches, and grit out! Running sunglasses can benefit performance so choosing the right pair is important. Check out this quick guide to help you choose the right pair!
1. Comfortable frame design is a must.
- Weight: lightweight designs are a requirement. Look for frames made with Grilamid TR-90. This material has a nice give preventing pressure headaches and makes the frame lighter ensuring comfort on all of your runs. Svago and Swank SL are both under an ounce to ensure the best comfort and protection.
- Non-slip temples and nose piece: Hydrophilic rubber placed strategically on the nose or temples provides comfort and prevents your shades from bouncing or slipping, even when sweating. When trying on sunglasses, lean your head forward to check for fit and feel for grip. The entire Swank series have inlayed rubber nose pieces and Glide technology on the interior of the temples to ease the glasses on and off.
2. Lenses are the heart of sunglasses. Here are some things to consider when picking out your shades:
- 100% UV protection is an absolute-no ifs, ands, or buts!
- Polycarbonate lenses: These lenses beat acrylic lenses at every juncture. They offer better optical quality, are lighter, and shatterproof. Acrylic lenses have poorer optical quality and are not shatterproof making them less safe. Sunglasses take a beating so Tifosi only uses polycarbonate lenses.
- Interchangeable lenses: Many sunglasses come with multi-lens options. The weather predicts your light- accept this challenge by using the lens that best serves you on that run.
- Polarized or Photochromic: For a step up check out polarized or photochromic sunglasses. Polarized are especially helpful in decreasing the glare from car and blacktop reflection. Photochromic lenses (Tifosi’s Fototec lenses) will adjust to lighting changes immediately.
3. Style is where you get to determine your look!
- Bold colors are in and fun to choose. Tifosi’s sunnies offer a vast array of colors from neutrals to bright.
- Frame shape is where you decide if you want to look like a racing gladiator or a jogging hipster. Check out the different designs that represent your style.
4. Price matters!
- Value is always important. High quality sunglasses can be found at affordable prices. The eyewear market has transformed and optical quality at budget friendly prices are available!
- Tifosi offers sunglasses at multiple price points for every sport, starting as low as $25!
Stop squinting and invest in a quality pair of running sunglasses. Frames, lens, style, and price-you now have the scoop on how to shop for the right ones. Go log some miles, push your body-not your eyes! Get out there and play!